Nuits-Saint-Georges

Nuits Saint Georges is a commune on the Côte de Nuits in Burgundy, between Dijon and Beaune, whose name comes directly from the main activity of the region: vine growing. Indeed, the village took the name of Nuits-Saint-Georges since 1892 in reference to one of its most famous plot : the clos "Saint Georges". Today it is still one of the...
Nuits Saint Georges is a commune on the Côte de Nuits in Burgundy, between Dijon and Beaune, whose name comes directly from the main activity of the region: vine growing. Indeed, the village took the name of Nuits-Saint-Georges since 1892 in reference to one of its most famous plot : the clos "Saint Georges". Today it is still one of the most sought-after Premier Crus of the appellation Nuits Saint Georges. Note also that Saint Georges is the Patron Saint of Burgundy and that the commune gave its name to the Côte de Nuits. The first houses of wine trade appeared in the eighteenth century, most of which still exist today, notably the Maison Faiveley or Maison Laboure. They enabled the economic development of the city by making many vine growers prosper, who for the most part took up their independence. But it was in 1934, with the creation of the Brotherhood of the Knights of Tastevin and under the impulse of it, that the appellation Nuits-Saint-Georges was propelled to the rank of the great appellations of Burgundy’s wine. Very fragmented by "Clos" (plot) established by the vineyard monks of the region over the centuries, the vineyard counts 41 climats classified as Premier Cru, including the famous "Saint Georges" and 34 distinct places. These climats, and more generally all of Burgundy's climats, each have their own specificity, and are now the subject of applications to appear on UNESCO's prestigious list of World Heritage. Since 1962, like the Hospices de Beaune, is held every year, the auction of the Wines of the Hospices de Nuits-Saint-Georges . These auctions take place every year in March and allow the local hospital to raise funds for investments of the institution, but also to benefit an association, most often for charitable purposes. The sale is by auction and by candlelight. In general it is held in the large cellar of the castle of Clos de Vougeot. The vineyard of the appellation, thus extends around the commune of Nuits-Saint-Georges . Limitrophe of the Vosne Romanée appellation to the north of the commune, it stops, to the south, at the gates of Comblanchien, in Premeaux-Prissey. The vineyard of N uits Saint Georges has an area of ​​about 307 hectares of which 97% is planted in Pinot Noir. The remaining 3% is mainly planted in Chardonnay to produce rich and racy white wines. The wines of Nuits-Saint-Georges, despite a real typicity, present nuances. The palette of their dress can evolve between dark red velvet and ruby ​​or mauve. At the nose, aromatic notes are first dominated by red and black fruits such as morello cherry, strawberry, blackcurrant. They evolve on leather, and animal notes, sometimes "foxées". In the mouth, the wines have body and have a balanced structure. I have been drinking in the aftermath of great appellations in Burgundy wine. There are few which can be compared with a Nuits Saint Georges, in terms of matter, "chew", and power. The wines of the appellation, are robust and round at the same time, capable of "taming" the most tasty meats, the most ... animal, the finest cheeses.   We invite you to discover the appellation AOC Nuits Saint Georges through our selection, including Premiers Crus and appellations Village. Buying from defivin.com ensures you get quality wines at the best price, via secure means of payment, delivered to you under ad hoc conditions. Purchase malin, on Défivin, if you buy Nuits Saint Georges or other appellations AOC present on our site of sale online, you benefit of decreasing prices close to the producer prices.   Take advantage of our offers in the appellation of Nuits Saint Georges and Côtes de Nuits Village of Domaine Arnaud Chopin & Fils and Domaine Chauvenet-Chopin.
More

Active filters